6.27.2014

Fucking Awesome, the brand.

Here is the origin of using the word, "fucking," the right way for a brand.


vs. 
Korean street brand Leata's "FUCKING SUMMER" hit it big in 2013... I never understood the appeal...


❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑

Fucking Awesome is so unknown (ish) yet so famous for being unknown (ish) that they have FAKE MERCHANDISE selling on the internet. How did they do it?

1. Jason Dill is one of the two founders and he loves pissing people off and doing lots of drugs while being super good at skating.
2. The brand's been around for so long that bursts of notoriety happened over spans of time so that Fucking Awesome was forgotten (ish) and then remembered again (ish). If this is hard to understand, then think direct opposite of what Kim & Kanye does--constant spamming.
3. The Jason Dill follower base connects to the skate world follower base connects to streetstyle brands connects to it's about time that Fucking Awesome hit the main limelight. But then again, FA isn't supposed to be a street style brand:
Wouldn't you define FA as streetwear, though? 
No, I think of it as an idea company. I only make something when I feel like it's right, or if I have the right materials. I don't use the internet. I find everything I put out by hand and sometimes I don't find enough material, or I make stuff and then I just don't like it. Also, Fucking Awesome isn't seasonal. It's just there when it's there and I don't make much of it. I constantly shoot myself in the foot from a business standpoint actually because I make it for sale but at the same time I don't want you to have it. It's a bit of a personality disorder company.  
Direct quote source: Vice interview 

4. Nobody at FA actually gives a fuck. The following are few examples...
  • They printed t-shirts with dictators on em: 
  • They exploited John Nozum by having their website just be... uhh him playing the piano. This was apparently super cool and okay to do so because when they found the video of Nozum playing the piano on YouTube, only 5 people had seen it. It's a nice idea until you realize that maybe Nozum is crazy (check out his website and see what kind of a strange world this guy lives in!!) and maybe FA just wanted to fuck around with crazy shit. 
  • They didn't really have an online store that sold stuff until recently. They seriously only had Nozum playing that piano: 


5. Selfish people create self-serving products that the selfish society likes to engulf. This last point is thoroughly subjective. What I mean by selfish here is the "no-fuck-giving" attitude; FA doesn't give a shit what is being said about them or the "impact" of their designs and acts. What is really interesting is that the consumers like these FA products and they buy them enough for them to sell out! Note the "BACK ORDERED" status of the "Coke Dad" and "Chloe" decks. FA is the perfect getaway from the trendy and branded streetwear culture we have going on at the moment.



I sound like I hate them, but that is not so. I find their identity intriguing and easy to ill-talk on. If I didn't like this brand, I'd have more of a hateful tone... I mean how can you hate a brand that has done nothing in terms of promotions and marketing to become one of the most coveted branded items ever?! Dill, though he is still a little too throttle-y for my liking, seems to always supply the world with entertaining and visually satisfactory designs and products. FA has done good collaborations with larger skate brands (Vans, Etnies) and are true punks in the industry that they belong in. Their shirts are priced around 30 bucks US and sweaters around 60; they can't get any cheaper than that! Now go to other street brands sites and see what they charge for a goddamn tee, pfft, A LOT. And I'm sure you'd rather get your hands on these shirts that are only printed in small numbers and doesn't have the logo screaming everywhere. Plus, Chloe Sevigny's adolescent face is involved. So yeah, FA is fucking awesome. 

Can somebody tell me HOW this page garnered almost 900 likes without doing anything with it? 
Hi Chloooooeeeeee, rrrrruvvvvv yewwwwwwww

If you're keen on knowing more about the brand.. watch the following video interview! Dill will now start to uncontrollably stammer yet make complete sense of what Fucking Awesome is all about.




❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑❐❑

See ya later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They weren't making fun of him they thought his piano playing was sick!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...