6.15.2014

TV versus Movies

You know those people that just doesn't get ANY TV references? Hell, they probably don't even know the names of the characters from Seinfeld. They don't even know when "primetime" for TV is. And you are a natural TV whiz. You've grown up with it on 24/7 in your household and has sat through a whole variety of shows with your family, relatives, friends, and by yourself. TV noise, shows, characters, series development, producers... Well, they feel like they are your family.

Unfortunately, in 2014, I've been meeting more and more of the latter. Consequently, I'm the first kind. The biggest TV noob. I go dead silent when TVspeak starts, because I don't even want to try to follow! I can't! I've watched two seasons of Girls, two seasons of The O.C., and.......... I think that's it.  So this summer, I decided to watch the famous ones and get on with the mainstream program (i.e. Breaking Bad, Portlandia, Suits, Madmen, True Detective, Game of Thrones, and House of Cards, et cetera).
  • I finished True Detective and felt like TV actually holds something for me! I felt very motivated. 
  • I finished three seasons of Suits and felt like I was on top of the world. 
  • I then crept along Breaking Bad... I'm somewhere in the middle of season three... 
And I just couldn't continue on. I moved on to documentaries and blockbusters (Lone Survivor!!) In the end, I'm a movies person. The time spent finding the TV shows, loading up Netflix, and watching season after season doesn't justify the satisfaction. It is not like the TV shows are not as good as the movies; it is more about the story development pace and the time that is to be invested for a full package of good time. Below are my highlights of what I felt during my brief trip into the TV-world:

1. The intro to True Detective is one of the prettiest reels I've encountered. Perfectly capturing the series' feel, atmosphere, and detail into the aesthetics, it is better than Dexter's captivating opening. While the song selections ooze throughout the entire series, there is a forced juxtaposition in combining the heavily modern & edited opening with the raw footage of the series. The opening reel video on YouTue has disabled embedding.. so please click the link below!
>> http://youtu.be/FxXRkqXfhYM

2. Forget the men in Suits. The women in Suits are even better. When Rachel, the most common name, gets to be hottified once again and all of a sudden I have a surge of happiness being one of the world's 50 million Rachel's--ficitonal or not.




But if the screen time has taught me anything, it's the sports channel. Oh man. I watch everything now except baseball and golf. To have FIFA around ain't helping with the getting-outside-home-and-learn-skateboarding program.


"I am super cute but I'm actually a giant." 



"I look like I'm 14 so I'm super cute but I'm actually older." 




SWOOOOOOOOOOON.


Viewer discretion is advised.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...