11.09.2010

MARKETING BLOG POST

ON LOCATIONAL-BASED SOCIAL MEDIA

SAY WHHHAAAAT ??
- Foursquare, Gowalla, Whrrl, and Facebook Places.

Are you in for it ? Or are you not ?
Personally, I love it. It's fun. I used to be the mayor of Irving K. Barber Library on Foursquare !!!!!!!!! SO COOL, RIGHT !? Okay, I admit it, I'm a social media mania freak dork geek. Furthermore, I love Irving. But note the "USED TO BE" ..I only had a number of days to be in full mayorship glory until my mother flipped out about this locational check-in thing: "PEOPLE WILL STALK YOU. YOU SO FRAGILE ASIAN GIRL. THEY'LL KNOW WHEN WE'RE OUT OF THE HOUSE AND COME TO ROB US. AND ALL BECAUSE YOU DO THIS STUPID ONLINE CHECK-IN THING." Man, she lost it. I couldn't talk back at all.

This obviously is a huge generation gap. My mother's generation can't handle all the "lack of privacy," which for us is now the norm. Interesting.

This also is an aspect Foursquare users have already embraced. For most of the users on it, they don't really care about the privacy. They are in it for the fun of it - the mayorship, the fancy badges, and even local business promotions (COMING UP IN LATER POSTS). They are using it to spam-tweet to their friends and followers where they are every second of the day. Hehe. They do understand that it may be TOO MUCH INFORMATION, but deal with it.
We know it.
We still use it.
Gawwwwd.
I want those "explorer" badges and what not !!

PLEASE LET ME GO BACK TO FOURSQUARE, MAMA CHUNG !!!!!!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...